Community NewsPaulding County WMEA news throughout Paulding County
ANN’S BRIGHT BEGINNERS LEARN ABOUT RECYCLING METAL OBJECTS
March 13, 2017
Ann’s Bright Beginners were introduced to the items you can recycle in Paulding County. Among those items were two different types of metal – steel cans and aluminum cans.
How do you tell the difference between the metals you can recycle? By using a magical magnetic wand, of course.
The objectives for this fun filled activity were two fold – 1) classify materials based on the property of magnetism and 2) improve their observation skills.
The children were shown a tray where a selection of items were displayed. Each child had an opportunity to “attract” objects on the tray with their magical magnetic wands. We discussed magnetic and non-magnetic attraction. It was explained that aluminum cans were identified because they are NOT attracted to a magnet. Each one had an opportunity to create an art object by using their magical magnetic wands. Geometric shapes such as circles, triangles, and squares with 20 metal objects were displayed.
A few fun facts that should “attract” you….
- When aluminum is recycled, 95% less energy is consumed, while recycled iron and steel use 74% less energy.
- 42% of crude steel is made from recycled material
- Air pollution and water pollution are reduced by about 70% when a steel mill uses recycled metal scraps.
- A used aluminum can is recycled and back on the grocery shelf as a new can, in as little as 60 days.
- The energy you save by recycling a single aluminum can will run a TV for three hours.
Until next time, keep on recycling!
WMEA Program Manager
Paulding County WMEA