WMEA Program, has been serving Paulding County since 1988 when the State of Ohio mandated that all Ohio counties divert waste from landfills, and form solid waste districts. Paulding County was teamed up with Defiance, Fulton and Williams Counties to form the Four County Solid Waste District.
A plan was created to raise awareness about the Program by engaging the school districts. A competition was created to see which school could collect the most amount of materials to be recycled. The competition began every September with an all school presentation. Volunteers from the schools would gather the materials, sort them by category and put them into semitrailers. Those trailers would then be taken to the recycling center to be weighed. The winning school with the most tonnage would receive a traveling trophy that was made from recycled materials.
Over the years the program has evolved from using a 15 foot box truck to two 28 foot enclosed trailers and “Big Red” our 15 seat passenger van that has been outfitted to meet the needs of the program. With the help of Boy Scout Troop 315 and The Leaders of Tomorrow 4-H Club, the concept of and the absolute need for recycling is being handed down to the next generation. By participating in the Program the students from Paulding County are learning in a “hands on” fashion what it means to reduce, reuse and recycle as they serve their friends and neighbors.
WHAT AND HOW TO RECYCLE
- Breakdown boxes completely so they’re flat and can be stacked
- Please lay flat or placed flat in paper bag
- Bundle and tie together or place in boxes
**THESE NO LONGER NEED TO BE SEPARATED**
- Rinse out cans to avoid bugs/odors
- Rinse out cans
- No aluminum foil or tin food containers
- Pop cans
PLASTIC NO’S 1-7
**PLASTICS NO LONGER NEED TO BE SORTED**
Please check the bottom of the container for the number in the triangle. If there is no triangle with a number it cannot be recycled.
- Water and pop
- Milk Jugs
- Juice Containers
- Detergent Containers
- Bleach and Vinegar bottles
PAULDING COUNTY DROP-OFF RECYCLING TRAILERS SCHEDULE:
1st SATURDAY OF EVERY MONTH
- Paulding Fairgrounds – 9:00-11:00 am
2nd SATURDAY OF EVERY MONTH
- Grover Hill at the VFW – 9:00-11:00 am
3rd SATURDAY OF EVERY MONTH
- Payne Park on SR 49 – 9:00-11:00 am
3nd WEDNESDAY OF EVERY MONTH
- Cecil Fire Station (11:30-12:00)
- Junction – Old Catholic Church – (12:30-1:00 pm)
- Haviland/Scott – Haviland Park on SR 114 (1:30-2:00)
- Latty – Village Meeting Hall/Park – 2:30-3:00 pm
4th SATURDAY OF EVERY MONTH
- Antwerp TBD (Working to provide coverage on the 4th Saturday, but it remains fluid)
Permanent Drop Off Sites
Call for a list of what they accept
I’m not sure how a full year has passed since I took over the reins of the WMEA Program. It’s been a whirlwind of learning about recycling in general and how we, as Paulding County residents, contribute specifically to keeping material out of landfill. One of the...